What is VPS Hosting?
VPS or Virtual Private Server Hosting has risen in popularity amongst website owners, thanks to cost effective packages that offer complete customisation. Combining the advantages of dedicated and shared servers, more and more business owners are turning to VPS in order to host their websites. However, what exactly is VPS hosting and why has it become so popular? We look at what Virtual Private Server means and who can benefit from such a hosting package.
What Does VPS Mean?
To understand what VPS hosting is, it's first important to understand what Virtual Private Server actually means. Many of the hosting servers you may have seen or used before tend to be physical servers, which can hold one or thousands of websites. Virtual servers are created by a software, that makes space within a physical server in order to hold your website data. This clever way of hosting websites gives users a cost effective way to effectively have their own private server. The private aspect is important for many website owners, as this gives them the security of a dedicated server; without the hefty price tag. As mentioned, VPS gives website owners the advantages of both a dedicated server and shared hosting, which is why this option has become so popular.
What are the Benefits of Virtual Private Server Hosting?
Many website and business owners can benefit from using VPS hosting, especially those who want complete customisation of their website. When you sign up for a VPS package, you are effectively given a blank server to work with. This means that technical knowledge is a must-have, although professionals can be hired in order to get things running for you. Below are some of the key benefits of using Virtual Private Server Hosting:
- You can have as many different widgets and apps as you like when using VPS.
- The flexibility means you can choose the operating system and customise firewalls, too.
- The server can be accessed to install software or programs, as required.
- Website and business owners with big ideas for their site will benefit from these customisation options.
- VPS comes with a high level of security and is completely private.
- You can reboot your server without impacting other sites, as well as not be impacted if other sites on the server go down.
- Those who are unsure of the uptime, reliability or security of a shared server will benefit greatly from Virtual Private Servers.
- Several sites can be hosted on the same server, just like with dedicated hosting.
- Most packages are much more cost effective than dedicated hosting, with more options than shared hosting.
There are many other benefits to VPS hosting, depending on the type of package you go for and the hosting provider. Ensure that you're fully aware of all the challenges that Virtual Private Server hosting may present first, however, such as needing a lot of technical input from your side. As long as you have a strong vision of how you want your site to look and function, along with some technical know-how then VPS hosting will be the perfect choice for you.